Recommendations how to Write an Effective Persuasive Essay
Now, we are going to be an advocate who is arguing a case before a jury. Yes, it didn’t seem to you that I’ve said lawyer because persuasive essay stands on an issue “for” or “against” and provides the most powerful argument to gain victory over the readers. The main writer’s task here is to assure the audience to accept and admit a particular viewpoint or take the concrete action.
The persuasive essay demands the deep and good research, recognition of reader’s prejudices and a strong understanding of both sides of the problem. This type of paper you can easily find in political speeches, advertising, blogs and newspaper editorials. This guide tells you about the entire writing process of the persuasive essay.
The paper includes five steps and here are helpful writing tips for each of them.
Prewriting for the Persuasive Essay
It is an integral phase of the paper where each aspect should be planned by the student. The following points help you better understand what do I mean:
Select the right position. Students should think attentively about the problem and choose the side they want to protect.
Understand the audience. To perform an impressive paper, the writer has to understand the reader’s views.
To conduct research. Convincing and strong evidence play the important role in the persuasive essay. Don’t use only one source, look for the information on different websites and useful materials. Ask teachers and experts to help you. Read and make notes.
Determine the most cogent evidence and the key points for the opposing view as well.
Structure the persuasive essay outline.
Let’s learn how to make the outline that usually divides into five or six paragraphs:
- Use “hook” to get reader’s attention
- Analyze the argument
- Provide the thesis statement that detects the position to be argued
- Body paragraph concentrates on a single piece of evidence
- In each paragraph, add sufficient detailed information
Opposing View Paragraph
- Disprove the key elements of the opposing view
- Iterate the thesis and evidence
Persuasive Paper Drafting Part
- Take into consideration the following tips while drafting the paper:
- The introductory paragraph should contain a powerful “hook” that interests the readers. Start with the quotation or question or the extraordinary fact or statement.
- Each paragraph should suggest solid evidence in various forms e.g. real – life examples, quotes of experts etc.
- Provide your audience with deep knowledge of the issue.
- The concluding part should sum up all evidence and encourage the reader to accept the position. The last question provokes readers to think about these current problems.
Persuasive Essay Revision
In this phase, students look over the work and reorganize it with the goal.
Remember always these considerations:
- Does the essay introduce a strong position on the issue, maintained by appropriate statistics, examples, facts and quotes?
- Does the paper start with the compelling “hook” that makes reader keep reading?
- Does each paragraph propose convincing evidence centered on one supporting point?
- Is the opposing viewpoint represented and persuasively refuted?
- Is the structure of sentence different?
- Are the words correctly selected?
- Are there transitions between paragraphs and sentences?
- Does the conclusion present the value of the reader’s position?
Editing the Persuasive Essay
It’s time to bring your paper in order and check all possible mistakes. Try to proofread errors in grammar, style and spelling, edit to improve clarity.
Publishing the Persuasive Essay
It is striking and intimidating to share your persuasive essay with family or friends. Learn from experience and use reviews to make the next essay even better.
Here is a list of 100 best persuasive essay topics: Thoughtco.com.